I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

While I grew up I thought I was a town kid


August 24, 1998  (I was 53)

While I grew up I thought I was a town kid
not a farm kid or lake kid
not a highway kid
A town kid, though the town
was less than two thousand
and the closest city was eighty miles
and that was Duluth
A town kid didn’t have to know cows
didn’t have to catch fish everyday
didn’t have to hope a friend would hitch-hike by

Town kids knew sports
and hung out at the fields the rink
the bowling alley the Itasca theater
Everybody went to school in town
and everybody learned something about iron mining
The open pits are in town at the edge of town
along the highway ranging between towns and lakes
The pits  You do not imagine them vast enough
nor deep enough  The tires on the Euclid dump trucks
are taller than you  Looking from the edge of the pit
those big trucks look small traversing in and out

Sometimes it takes fifteen years to shift gears
even when you’re running without a load
I never had to churn the Guernsey nor convert a pig
into pork  I fry the fish if you bring it cleaned and scaled
The trucks were too big for me to fight
Hitch-hiking with a friend can be an adventure
You thumb alone out of love and off to school in Duluth
where there were town kids farm kids lake kids highway kids
and city kids  Some from Helsinki didn’t know anything
about iron mining but quite a bit about geography

No comments:

Post a Comment