I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Thursday, February 27, 2020

I ache to wake break bed to get up and go


February 27, 2012  (I was 67)

I ache to wake break bed to get up and go
through motions designed to shed recline
out of repose and into some clothes
and I do what I see to be done to do

Not to be wallowed in grief or swallowed
by the enormity of the construct perceived
I smoke a token of the talisman plant
to decide which ideas should be ideas in deed

Something must be physical and use real muscle
sweater the better the only skill the will
to breathe into mind oxygen sublime
breath breathed by so many breathers before

Creation creates its own pace and slow
is measured one measure at a time
and at a tempo that tempts one to dance
Earth and moon to and fro do-si-do

No comments:

Post a Comment