I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Friday, August 19, 2016

from the Dream Records


from this week in August, 1991  (I was 46)

         from the Dream Records
         I am at the Hopkins gym in Fremont California helping George
Taufer teach basketball before the start of the first day of school.  I
recognize only one boy, a former student, Phil Richards, a pain-in-the
butt, egotistical poor student. The basketball ends and George and I
herd milling students to class, when another boy sets off a sizeable
spark from a device resembling a wand or “magic flame” barbeque
lighter. 
         I approach the boy to discipline him with the intention of
letting him off with a warning not to bring the device to school.  When
he balks, I tell him he is now going to the principal, explaining that
Hopkins students followed teachers orders.  He remains mildly insolent
until separated from his peers.  Then he tries to get off by being
apologetic, but I say it’s too late for that. 
         We approach the office by crossing a street, which becomes
Howard Avenue in Hibbing, Minnesota, to the State Theater, where I
find Principal Tim Reichert in the lobby.  I hand the boy over with an
explanation of the situation.  Tim asks to see the device, then asks
the boy to demonstrate it.  The kid says he can’t because it needs to
be recharged, and it costs ten dollars.  Tim remarks that at least it no
longer presents a danger.
         I awoke and later realized the device seemed similar to a
description of a “laser ray” in a science catalog my son Nathan
received in the mail the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment