I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Thursday, April 29, 2021

April Showers of 1969

 

from the month of April, 1969  (I was 24)

 

          April Showers of 1969 -or droplets of some kind

                  -journal scribbles this month

Linking verbs have no connotations.  4/7

Someone on 60 Minutes said, “If we didn’t have funerals

we’d never know when to stop crying.”  4/7

Being bitter is work, also as ridiculous as being agreeable.  4/9

We love to lean near the edge; we do not fear that we may fall,

but rather that we may fall eternally.  4/10

Singing, cockles and mussels, saliva salivo. 4/10

I’m tired of having to cope with people who could even imagine me

being dangerous.  4/13

There he stood in his Florentine whimsy, spelling smile with his teeth. 4/13

Paths are clear; the one I’m on is blotched with horse shit

as far as I can see. 4/22

Achilles, your mother was extremely stupid. 4/24

Polarity interests me, and me. 4/24

Rip off a cheer for good beer 4/24

Oh ladies of the Amazon

will you please put pajamas on? 4/25

A most valuable lesson teaches the difference

between explication and impliction.  4/25

I sit in calm and suddenly fear

I might become content  4/25

No comments:

Post a Comment