I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

notes for The 8th Grade Poetry Class, day 29


March 14, 1976  (I was 31)

notes for The 8th Grade Poetry Class, day 29
            We wrote composite poetry.  I asked eight students to participate
in the demonstration.  I showed the class an art print.  The volunteers
wrote a single line of an observed detail, subject matter or mood.  I
asked that the lines be read randomly, one at a time.  I transcribed them
entirely or in part to the chalk board.  With each new line there is the
challenge to form a parallel, a counterpoint, or provide workable transitions
between images and ideas.  I talked about the poem taking shape as I
erased, repositioned, shortened, elongated or otherwise worked the lines
into cohesive form.  Not all that difficult given the common inspiration and
the students’ desire to be concise and perceptive in their offerings.  I
displayed the art print again and read the assembled piece.  They were
impressed and enthused with the end result of their collective genius. 
            Groups of eight students were given individual art prints, and each
student wrote out their one-line impression eight times on separate strips
of paper.  After lines were exchanged they worked individually to arrange
revise and supplement the lines into their unique poetic version of the
material, transcribing the result into their notebooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment