I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Reading the Little Magazines


March 1, 1975  (I was 30)

Reading the Little Magazines
            (1)
I watch the little poets
in the little magazines
and the talk about
how the fuck like crazy
and drink beer
smoke grass and suffer
as they witness the traffic
they are wandering vehicles
searching for parking places
something they can back into
they drive in the right hand lane
            (2)
I read the little poets
whose correspondence is directed
at one another who know
about America’s misplaced values
talented ones who also suffer
in hospitals rest homes deserts
and on faculties
            (3)
I consume private hours
learning that I am consumed
counting inflated paper currency
insisting upon significance
every moment deposited
on account at the Universal Memory Bank
and Contemplation Savings and Loan
            (4)
The little magazines come out of the mailbox
like letters from distant cousins
who barely dare to know me
letters with lines to read between
and jokes about relatives I’ve never heard of
they do not ask How is the family
they say We’re coming to California
and we hope you can show us around

No comments:

Post a Comment