I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Saturday, May 15, 2021

The Credo of Hypocrisies from pro athletes

 

May 15, 2009  (I was 64)        

 

The Credo of Hypocrisies from pro athletes

makes us all look like idiots:

We’re grown men here

we take responsibility for our actions

We create extraordinarily high

expectations for ourselves

We have impeccable work ethic

We always give 100% but

we know how to step it up when we have to

I live for the pressure of game seven

It ain’t trash talk if you can back it up

I know I am blessed and ordained by God

I believe everything happens for a reason

We’re done talking about it

We were embarrassed

and it called into question the character

of some of their players

We’ve had tough ones to swallow before

but this one just snowballed

It wasn’t nerves

it was just a matter of settling down

We regret that it happened but

we’ve put it behind us and we move on

 

The message to kids should be

you don’t have to talk like that to be successful

No comments:

Post a Comment