I don’t write in a journal everyday, but I have accumulated many entries over the past 50+ years beginning in 1966. Some items evolved into longer works. Among the leftovers little pieces survived. I thought a collection of these with a piece culled from the same date in a past year would make an interesting yearbook. The consistencies and inconsistencies of mind, skipping back and forth across time, provide varied perspectives. It is difficult to remember the context of the past we’ve lived; we also make suppositions about times that predate ourselves.

The few alterations from original drafts were to improve clarity. The worst of my work is not included. There remains enough mediocrity and immaturity to make me feel humble and you feel smart. There are also moments of accidental insight and incidental humor.

Author Stephen Crane referred to his little pieces as pills…apparently they were small and somewhat hard to swallow, but good for you.


Comments Welcome!

Saturday, May 29, 2021

The source of reflected light is insignificant

 

from this week in 1997      (I was 52) 

 

The source of reflected light is insignificant

Any dim illumination is appreciated

Whether off the fog bank from a point on shore

or rebounded through clouds from the sun

matters not once the thought of destination is dismissed

Adrift however does not mean directionless

Preoccupation with waves keeps one afloat

I am not in the same place I would have been

had I not been paying attention

Nor am I in position I might have been

attending to some other 

Never somewhere to get always someplace to be

Colors of inspiration reach me indirectly

then glance off and onto something else

My diminished vision of what is there

is all I have to distinguish what is not

Brightness is enhanced with a little imagination

That has always been my occupation

and I’ve done it to see where I am

before I glance off and onto something else

No comments:

Post a Comment